This event is for those who are new to kayaking and would like to learn some basics about gear and technique. We will spend the first ~45 minutes on dry land talking gear and technique. We’ll spend ~45 minutes on the water practicing paddle strokes. At only 43.3 acres, Fish Lake is a great paddle classroom. Please come to learn how to help keep you and others safe.
There will be someone to help with unloading and loading your boat.
What to bring:
• Kayak, paddle
• PFD, whistle
• Change of clothes
• Water & snacks
• Any gear you have questions about.
• Kayak & Paddle materials, styles and applications
• Gear: PFD, Paddle Skirt, Splash Pants & Top, Dry Bags, Deck Bags, etc.
• Getting in and out safely, assisting others
• Loading, unloading, securing your kayak to your vehicle
• Basic paddle techniques – How to hold it, Forward Stroke, Turning Stroke
• Kayak safety & awareness on the water – other boats, water temperature, wind, etc.
All paddles are subject to change so please check before you come.
HOW TO FIND US: Fish Lake Regional Park Boat Launch, S. 14314 Meyers Road (off the Cheney-Spokane Rd). Not the public beach, but the boat launch. Bring your boat and gear to the grass beside the staging area.